Welcome!

For 5 years I was the pastor of Trinity International Church in Strasbourg, France. I created this blog with those people in mind. In mid-November 2018 I will become the Senior Pastor of Word of Life Church in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. The focus of this blog will therefore shift, but I pray that people from the blogosphere will continue to find it helpful wherever they might be found.
The churches' websites includes recorded sermons for those who are interested. Click the links below to access them.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

A "Good Friday" Hymn

Bernard of Clairvaux was one of the most influential Christians of his era. This hymn is widely attributed to him and certainly marks the depth of his devotion to our Lord.

O Sacred Head now wounded,
with grief and shame weighed down,
now scornfully surrounded
with thorns Thine only crown;
O Sacred Head, what glory,
What bliss, till now was Thine!
Yet though despised and gory,
I joy to call Thee mine.

What Thou, my Lord, hast suffered
Was all for sinners' gain;
Mine, mine, was the transgression,
But Thine the deadly pain;
Lo, here I fall, my Saviour!
'Tis I deserve Thy place;
Look on me with Thy favor,
Vouchsafe to me Thy grace.

What language shall I borrow
to thank Thee, dearest Friend,
for this Thy dying sorrow,
thy pity without end?
Oh, make me Thine forever;
and should I fainting be,
Lord let me never, never
Outlive my love to Thee!

Be near me when I'm dying;
Oh, show Thy Cross to me!
And for my succor flying;
Come, Lord, and set me free!
These eyes, new faith receiving,
from Jesus shall not move;
for he who dies believing,
dies safely, through thy love.

Bernard of Clairvaux (1091-1153)
English Translation: James Waddell Alexander
(1859-1904)

No comments:

Post a Comment