Welcome!

For 5 years I was the pastor of Trinity International Church in Strasbourg, France. I created this blog with those people in mind. In mid-November 2018 I will become the Senior Pastor of Word of Life Church in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. The focus of this blog will therefore shift, but I pray that people from the blogosphere will continue to find it helpful wherever they might be found.
The churches' websites includes recorded sermons for those who are interested. Click the links below to access them.

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Top Books I've Read in 2017


I read a lot. Don't tell my wife, but there are over 500 books on my Kindle! I've always got a bunch of books going. Some books are so good (Tozer's Pursuit of God) that I read them almost every year. Others I re-read less frequently. Still other "books" are collections like The Complete Mark Twain (which I have finished) or the Life and Works of John Owen (55 excellent volumes that I may never finish).

None of these were considered for my Top Books List.

To make the list I needed to both start and finish them in 2017. Here are my six favorites:

D.A. Carson - Praying with Paul. Carson is a solid biblical scholar but this book reveals that he is much more than that: he is a man of prayer. This look at Paul's prayer will inspire and instruct your prayer life.

John Piper - Reading the Bible Supernaturally. This book is one of the best books I have read on the Bible and the supernatural thing that occurs as we read it. Challenging and informative.

Tom Doyle - Killing Christians. A sobering and faith-deepening look at what is happening in places where being a follower of Jesus can cost you your life.

J.D. Vance - Hillbilly Elegy. Do you want to know how Donald Trump became President of the United States? This book, while not about President Trump, will tell you why. A look into a world you won't see on television, Vance tells a personal story of a forgotten America.

Tom Challies - Do More Better. Simply one of the best productivity books I've read. Written from a Christian perspective, it gives many insights into the whats, whys, and hows of getting things done.

William Manchester and Paul Reid - The Last Lion. This trilogy covers the life of Winston Churchill, one of the last century's most influential men. Well-written and full of surprising events and facts.  Entertaining and well-written, these books are well worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment